I haven’t been able to blog about this until now because I have been waiting on photos. Somehow, Scott was able to convince me to not take a camera to Lake Powell when I took Cali and Kimi there in July. Had I known how much my shutter finger would be itching it never would have been possible. I just got a cd with everyone elses’ photos, and it looks to be a blessing in disguise as I am writing this blog post as this post is doozy of a long one even without my own photos.
A friend of ours agreed to watch Ian and Natalie during the day, so the three of us girls packed up and headed South. If the trip had just been the drive down, I would not want to talk about it. It included too much heat, puke, and wrong turns to be very pleasant. When we had only reached Provo I heard Kimi say to Cali, “We have been driving for a few hours at least!” But we finally got there and joined the family on the houseboat, and I finally got to see what the big deal is about Lake Powell.
First of all, it really was breathtaking. The contrast of the water on those red rocks was so beautiful. And, like I have heard so many times, the sunsets and sunrises were amazing.
We had fun out on the water. As someone who is afraid of the water, I didn’t think that this would be possible for me, but with the help of life-jackets and positive self-talk we made it out there. Cali, who just a few a weeks before didn’t even like being in her bath water amazed me by doing this:
And then before good sense could kick in, and because I’ve always been a sucker for peer pressure, and because I believe the sweet Amber could talk me into anything; I was here:
This is what was going through my head, “How did I get here, and what on earth am I doing?”
Amber was there to keep me in my happy place and keep me trying, and if you blinked you missed it, but I got up out the water.
I had about worn out the patience of all the little girls on the boat, but it happened.
Kimi and Cali both enjoyed going out for rides on the tube, and just being on the boat.
Kimi was even convinced to get out of the boat and swim, as long as Grandpa was there.
Kimi’s favorite thing to do while we were there is spend time wading around the shore by the houseboat. She could have done it all day.
The real best part about being there, of course, was being with family.
All too soon we were headed home, but not before I got to be at the traditional meal at Wendy’s. I was glad because I really wanted to get the full Lake Powell experience.
We got to ride home in Grandma and Grandpa’s car.
The trip back went much faster than the ride down. Maybe it was because there was no carsickness, or because we were having fun being with other people, but it was probably because good things always end a lot sooner than you want them to.
3 comments:
No way!!! I just saw Jana waterskiing!!!! All these things that you never have done (running a 5K, waterskiing . . . ) what's next?! Way to go, I'm so happy for you.
Awesome!!! Seriously, where have you found all this amazing motivation. I need some, and real soon (twins remember).
What a fun vacation and wonderful memories you and the girls now have.
Wohoo! It looks like you had a great vacation!
Post a Comment