Thursday, May 19, 2011

something warm on a rainy day

crnbread

I like soups and breads on rainy days. We have had plenty of those lately.

This is a recipe for heathified corn bread that I like to make whenever we have taco soup. I started with the regular Alber’s corn bread recipe and tweaked and substituted it into this version. It is low fat, whole wheat, and delicious.

(I usually put applesauce and a little sugar-free maple syrup on mine, but a slab of butter looks better in pictures)

Heathified Corn Bread

1 cup yellow corn meal

1 cup white whole wheat flour (sometimes called whole wheat pastry flour)

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 cup skim milk

1/3 cup applesauce

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1. Preaheat oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8 inch square or round baking dish

2. Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.  Combine milk, applesauce and egg in a small bowl; mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended.  Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.

Recipe can be doubled for a 9x13 pan, or can be made as above into 10-12 muffins baked for 15 minutes.

No comments: