Sunday, September 4, 2011

a good cobbler and a good book

IMG_5123

I have a few reasons I like book club.

First, I enjoy reading something new and talking about it with other women.

Last month we read These is My Words by Nancy E. Turner.

348225

It was a fabulous book. One of the best I’ve read in a long time. I just finished the second book in the series.  I recommend it as well.

Another reason I love book club, is that it gives me a reason to make a treat to share. I am always looking for excuses to do that.

A peach cobbler went nicely with this book, and I found a recipe that may be the only peach cobbler I ever make again.

It wasn’t super light because of the amount of sugar, but I did make mine with whole wheat flour, and served it with light cool whip so it was a low-fat dessert.

It’s preparation is also different from most cobblers. You mix the flour mixture in with the peaches and then pour a boiling syrup over it before you bake it, like a pudding cake recipe. It all comes out like magic in the end.

Here’s the recipe from Taste of Home:

Peach Cobbler

1 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup milk

3 cups sliced fresh or frozen peaches

 

Topping:

2 cups water

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tblspoon butter

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Ground cinnamon, optional (I used it)

Half-and-Half ( I used light cool whip instead)

 

Directions:

  • In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, just until combined; fold in peaches. Spread into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
  • In a large saucepan, combine water, sugars, butter, nutmeg, and cinnamon if desired.  Bring to a boil, stirring until sugars are dissoved. (I boiled it for a minute for good measure) Pour over top of peach mixture.
  • Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted in the topping comes out clean. Serve warm or cold with cream. Yield: 8 serving

1 comment:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Uhm, can I move in with you guys so I can read good books and eat yummy desserts?