Tuesday, September 22, 2009

a post three months in the makings

Happy first day of Fall!
Can you believe it? I can't. In celebration of this day I am finally putting up a post I have been meaning to do and one that took all summer to make. This year for fun the kids and I grew some sunflowers. Who knew a dollar packet of seeds could give us this much fun?

Here is the fence area we picked right after we planted.
Imagine my relief when they popped up. For other people not as much is riding on horticultural success, but you have to remember I have a college degree in it. Laughable, to be sure.Ian put himself in charge of watering and learned two lessons.
1. Don't hold the hose straight up in the air
2. When mommy goes to unkink the hose, don't look down it to see where the water went.

This is when I thought they had reached their full height of 5-6 feet, as the packet stated.As you can see they got a little bit taller. Closer to 11 feet, but we didn't complain to the seed company.
Now they are looking a little depressed with their heads hanging down. I think they know that the summer is over. Goodbye, summer 2009, you were fun while you lasted.

6 comments:

Shellie said...

The joys of summer gardening. I keep buying packets of sunflower seeds, but have yet to get any in the ground. You have given me the drive I need. I'll be sure to teach Ella those ever important lessons that Ian learned via experience. (I seem to remember a photo of you peering down a water hose - maybe some things are best learned first hand. : )

Sister Christine McCracken said...

That is awesome!!! It totally makes me think of Jack and the Beanstalk. Watch out! A giant might climb down those sunflowers!

Angela said...

I love sunflowers but have never planted any, they are pretty that tall

Tiff said...

Those tall sunflowers are the best to plant with kids! They look beautiful in your yard!

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Your horticulture skills obviously rock, you got them to grow two times as tall as the packet. I think this will be a great littl experiment to plan with the kiddos for next year.

Marcie said...

I LOVED your sunflowers when we were there! I might need to know what brand and kind they were for next year. :)