Thursday, February 4, 2010

a cut above

Luckily for me, our ward is short on children, and I don't have to compete with how the other mother's have done their little girls hair.

I do want my children to look neat and well-groomed though so I thought I would try to figure out how to do some of those cute hair-do's I've seen when visiting other wards.

Go to these blogs if you want to see what the Jones' are doing:

I saw all those hairstyles and and knew that at our house it would mean two things:
1. a bucketload of tears
2. open rebellion

I managed to convince Kimi to let me put one elastic in her hair, rather than her usual barette on Sunday by telling her it could be her birthday gift to me. She slept with it in that night and on Monday morning these were her exact words, "I accidently left this in over night,and somehow I survived!" To her it is THAT bad.

Cali will let me do her hair as she tries to hold things back to a whimper.
Here is my interpretation of a fancy up-do:

Just kidding.
That was crazy-hair day a couple months ago and I just found the pictures.

On a related note, I also cut the kids' hair in order to save money. I decided that I should probably try to figure out what I was doing better since it never quite turns out how I hoped, and Kimi will actually start school this year.

I got this book lasts week from the library to learn some techniques :
I was planning on getting my haircut soon, and started thinking about trying some things from this book first. I figured if it turned out really bad, a professional could always give me a pixie cut which I've always wanted, but never had the guts for.

Last Friday morning I got out my hair cutting scissors and five minutes later (I had to take time out to answer the phone and the door) (yes, I answered the door, but my hair was just in a ponytail at that point) my hair was cut. It involved putting my hair in ponytails and cutting them off straight across, and it worked. No pixie cut for me.

This was Scott's reaction, "Wow! You did that yourself? I mean, I've seen your haircuts."
That makes Scott look bad, so I must include I answered, "I know! Me too!"

Here's a view from the back:

I also found out how hard it is to take a picture of myself that I like. Hence, you see no front view.

Chalk one more up for library books.

6 comments:

Sister Christine McCracken said...

Hey I did my hair like that last week! And now you're telling me that's how Cali did it for crazy hair day? Wow I feel dumb...ha

Dude! I am totally impressed with the cutting skills!

Shellie said...

You are totally amazing. I still shell out $$$ for my hair cuts. But I make the excuse of it's the only "me" time I get. It really is just an excuse, there are much less expensive ways to have some "me" time, and if I cut my own hair, I could have a feeling of self reliance as well. Sigh . . . something else for my to-do list.

Shellie said...

Okay, so I just went to the web site of the Princess and Her Hair . . . and I mean, seriously, who has time for that on a Sunday morning!? And who's daughter will really sit for all of that and smile afterwards!? I would love to do fancy things with Ella's hair, but we are lucky to get two simple french braids in - that's a good day!

Tory and Elizabeth said...

I thought Cali was doing a Fancy Nancy do, she was probably the most popular girl in school. I think that is why I have thanked my lucky stars that Ryker is a boy and I can just use the clippers on him.

And I think that I will check out that book, I really need a new haircut!

Angela said...

Your hair looks Great! I cut mine while we were over in Maryland to save on money and the whole time I was thinking I hope it looks okay when I am done.

Marcie said...

That's awesome! I don't think I'd ever have the guts to cut my own hair. I cut my own bangs, though. :)