Wednesday, June 9, 2010

school's out

School's out for the summer.

Cali came home on the last day and was nearly inconsolable because of how much she will miss her teacher. Since then she has written to her teacher, and her teacher has visted her once and written back to her. All in less than a week. She's quite a lady. (And Cali is quite a girl, in her letter to her teacher she thanked her for helping her feel better on the last day and said, "it was much appreciated.")

Two days before school got out I went to the school to walk with the first grade to a nearby park to play there for the day. There is nothing like being around other people's children to make you really appreciate your own. It was a fine day, and thanks to our police escort, we got there with out any first graders going missing or getting squashed.

Cali and her friends spent a lot of time building sand castles. One of the girls was helping by collecting every pinecone in sight and bringing them back. Note the other bored chaperone in the background. We had 3 hours to kill in the park.We also discovered that 50 kids to 1 parachute isn't a good ratio.

I was glad to have that chance to go be with Cali who still thinks I am cool and I have to appreciate that for as long as I can.

And as much as she loves her teachers, I'm glad to have her to myself for a few months.

2 comments:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

eI totally forgot about those parachute things. They were the bomb! Did you have to pack the special field trip lunch with doritos, juice box and a special desserts to go along with the sandwich with deli meat and other special treats that only appeared on field trip days?

Oh, and Cali is quite a girl if her teacher gave her a special visit.

Sister Christine McCracken said...

Oh the joys of field trips...The only one that really stands out from my childhood days is the one I broke my tooth at...I think I'll keep my kids home on field trip days.