Monday, December 7, 2009

read yourself a merry little christmas

Here are some books that I highly recommend as Christmas reads. I know that everyone is busy at Christmas, but these are definitely worth the time. Here they are in random order because they are all my favorites.


1. THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER by Barbara Robinson
   This is one of those books that makes me laugh so hard at the wit and situations, but makes also makes me think and get teary. I try to read this every year. Right now I'm reading it to the girls.



2. THE SHEPHERD, the ANGEL, and WALTER THE CHRISTMAS MIRACLE DOG by Dave Barry

This is one of my new favorites as of about two years ago. Let me just say this book is hillariously funny, but had me crying at the end. It reminded me of a mix of The Best Christmas Pageant ever and The Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out.)  I don't know what I like so much about these stories that reminisce, but this one really hit the spot.
                                                

3. THE MANSION by Henry van Dyke
This is really considered a short story, and is lesser known. I first heard about it in a talk by Pres. Monson where he said that he tries to read it every Christmas. It is a very good story that relates to Christmas, but I think about all year.


                                                  
4. TWO FROM GALILEE by Marjorie Holmes
This is a fictional book about Mary and Joseph. I know that the author made it up, but it made me feel such an appreciation for those two REAL people and the real-life situation they faced.

                                  
5. A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens
Of course this has to be on the list. Though I love the Muppet version of this (hmm, I think a movie list is on its way. . .) the book is a treasure. I think that there were certain things inspired by Heavenly Father to touch people's hearts whether or not they will hear or accept the gospel and this is one of them. I could list so many of my favorite quotes from this book, which is a lot shorter than many people think. This is another one that I heard Pres. Monson say once that he tries to read this every year.

Let me know if you have a favorite that I forgot, or share one with me that I haven't yet read!

2 comments:

Sister Christine McCracken said...

Yeah...I would add to this...but you pretty much covered it. dang. nevermind. ignore this comment. :D

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Does Mooseltoe count? I definitely could make a movie list though. Or how about a Christmas Music list. Hmmmmm . . .