Monday, February 15, 2010

oh, canada!


As someone who doesn't care much about the sporting world, it doesn't make much sense, but I love the olympics!

I can watch whatever event comes on all day.

We started the tradition of having a dinner from the host country on the night of opening ceremonies. Since I am one-quarter Canadian myself, ( sort of. Grandpa did become a U.S. citizen, but he was Canadian.) I was looking forward to this one.

Turns out Canadians eat what we eat. Go figure.

This is the most regional meal that I could come up with, and believe me the kids liked it a whole lot better than the Chinese food from the last olympics.

We decided to have Canadian bacon, and waffles with Maple syrup. I thought about getting real syrup that actually came from Canada, but I decided my kid's taste buds weren't really discerning enough to notice the ten-dollar difference.

(Sorry this picture is so dark, you know I've cursed the lighting in my kitchen before.
See how that waffle sort-of looks like a maple leaf? Now that's Canadian.)

3 comments:

Sister Christine McCracken said...

I want a Canadian meal! ...Is Canadian bacon really Canadian? Or is it like Chinese to-go boxes which is actually an American invention?

Jana said...

In answer to your question, not exactly. They do eat Canadian bacon but it is more like a ham roast, not thin slices of ham. I just went the easy route

Shellie said...

I love this tradition! I forgot that you had done it 2 years ago. What is the other side dish?